Thursday, November 15, 2007

A Note To My Book Club

Rant-let. Defined as a small, completely insignificant, mini-rant to only be used in the context of lighthearted poking fun; guilt-trip.

Dear Book Club,
How I look so fondly on our many great laughs and reads together. The times we have shared will always hold a special place in my heart. I look forward to our dinners, book conversing, and mostly the wonderful life stories we share as a group. I have gained many friendships from our gatherings and I look forward to many years of growing closer. I couldn't have asked for a better group of friends to spend my time with.


Now as for the "book" part of our book club. Your behavior over the past couple of months is deplorable. I would say that I am a pretty lenient book picker and I allow plenty of time to complete the assigned book. I do believe I have allowed a good number of opportunities in which to purchase, actually read, and then discuss the last book of my choice.


I had accepted that maybe no one really wanted to read my last selection because I had not been the best book-picker in the past. But, after reading this post about our current book choice that was written by someone I would consider well-versed in literature and then subsequently receiving a phone call noting that this said post encouraged one of you to ACTUALLY start reading the book, and then subsequently informing me that "yeah this book is pretty darn good," I started to become a wee bit annoyed at your behavior.


This note, however, does not come to you by the aforementioned phone call alone. This comes to you as a combination of the phone call from one of you and this blog entry by another one of you stating that you are reading/listening to other books that have not been selected by our group. This is unacceptable behavior. Our book club comes first. No babies, work trips, incompetent spouses, holidays, or even hospital visits should come between the members and the selected reading.


Now, I am not one to hold a grudge. So I leave you with this. READ the darn book!! It's good. I promise. I'm sure that with a little time and a few homemade weight watcher treats, I can be bribed into forgiving you for your long delay of book club etiquette - reading. Now, I must be on my way. I'm only halfway through the book myself. Which is totally why I can be bribed. But, I'm still upset. But, not really. But, I'm still going to monitor your progress. But not really.

Truly yours,
Liz


P.S. For the member that stated she likes to judge a book by its cover and therefore had not picked it up, I leave you this. Another cover I found of the EXACT SAME BOOK. Read it!

=

5 comments:

Daisy said...

Oh how I envy your book club! I would give anything to have a group of cool chicas to discuss lit with! I have a feeling that I'd be in your place... No one ever likes the stuff I read! Btw, are you on Shelfari? That way I could see what you've read and maybe get some ideas!

Jessica said...

What more do you want from me? I'm reading the book and I can't put it down. When I'm not reading it I'm dreaming of reading it! It really is THAT good!

And if the cover had been the one with the two little girls....I would have picked it up. It's an awesome book and I'll be ready to talk about it the week after Thanksgiving.

Jessica said...

What more do you want from me? I'm reading the book and I can't put it down. When I'm not reading it I'm dreaming of reading it! It really is THAT good!

And if the cover had been the one with the two little girls....I would have picked it up. It's an awesome book and I'll be ready to talk about it the week after Thanksgiving.

Charly said...

I'm sure I won't be able to come to the book club gathering....as usual, but I'm still going to pick up the book. I've only heard good things about it. I miss my book club, damn Kansas.

Susan said...

Good lord girls, read the book! It's SO GOOD.

Seriously.