Thursday, November 8, 2007

No-Harm Chicken Parm

No. No. Don't over-react! You're in the right place. This is still my blog. I know that I don't normally post about things that I have cooked; mainly because I don't usually cook anything other than spaghetti or some sort of casserole dish. But this wonder-wife keeps making me feel bad.

I used to go to her blog to day-dream about the warm chocolate chips cookies at the top of her page, but once I started actually READING versus drooling, it inspired me to maybe actually try something new. She always blogs about wonderful dishes she's made her husband for dinner. The girl threw a Halloween party for just the two of them! I just threw a bag of fun-size snickers at Nathan and told him "Happy Pumpkin Day".

So I've been taking copious notes and decided I too was going to test out a new recipe. I settled on the No-Harm Chicken-Parm I found on the Hungry-Girl website. Some WW friendly recipes are a little sketchy the first time you do them. I know that it can either turn out as a "repeat" or a disaster (i.e. fat free tuna-noodle casserole. ick.). After dinner though, I asked the required questions: " Did you like it? Is it a repeat? Did it taste like cereal?" Nathan responded with, "It's pretty good. Yeah, we could have it again. No." The last question was a little odd, I know. But the recipe was odd when I heard it at first. Who uses Fiber-One cereal as a substitute for frying something?! The answer: I do...now.

If you're in the mood for chicken parmesan but are either 1. out of WW points or 2. can't afford to go to the place with the best version, Johnny Carino's, it could be a worthy substitute. Give it a try and let me know what you think.

Notes to a few of my readers:
Brooke: They have a similar recipe for cheese sticks here. I know they're your fave.
Derek: You'll eat anything...go for it.
John: This is in NO WAY a replacement for J.C. It's coated in cereal for gods sake.
Jessica: This may only be good with the sauce on top. I know you're not really into red sauce, so I would use caution. WHAT! am I talking about?! You don't cook. Ignore this whole post.
Charly: You're married now! You have to use that new food processor. Get to it girl.
Nathan: Thanks for being my food guinea pig. I love you for being supportive and trying everything at least once.
Aubrey: I hope you don't take offense. I love your blog and all the wonderful things you write about. That's why I read it E-V-E-R-Y-D-A-Y.

No-Harm Chicken Parm
Ingredients:
5 oz. boneless skinless chicken breast (raw) (Add additional chicken for each person)
1/3 cup Fiber One cereal
1/4 cup Egg Beaters, Original
3/4 tsp. reduced fat grated parmesan cheese
1 oz. (approx. 1/4 cup) shredded fat-free mozzarella cheese
1/3 cup canned tomato sauce (I used some jar sauce and then used the rest to coat addtl. noodles I made)
Optional: garlic powder, basil, oregano, salt and pepper

Directions:
1.Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2.Using a blender or food processor, grind Fiber One cereal to a breadcrumb-like consistency. 3.Add parmesan to crumbs (if desired, season crumbs with optional spices, as well).
4.Place crumbs in one small dish and Egg Beaters in another.
5.Next, pound your chicken so it's a bit flattened.
6.Coat raw chicken on both sides with Egg Beaters, and then coat with crumb mixture.
7.Place chicken on a baking pan sprayed with nonstick spray.
8.Spray a light mist of nonstick spray on top of chicken and place in oven.
9.Cook for 10 minutes, and then turn chicken over.
10.Add another light mist of nonstick spray and cook for an additional 10 - 12 minutes (or until chicken is fully cooked and coating looks crispy).
11.Meanwhile, if desired, mix tomato sauce with your seasonings of choice.
12.Remove chicken from oven, top with sauce and then cheese, and return chicken to oven until cheese is melted.

Nutritional Facts:
Serving Size: 1 chicken breast Calories: 295 Fat: 3.5g Sodium: 890mg Carbs: 27g Fiber: 11g Sugars: 3.5g Protein: 46.5g WW: 5 Points

4 comments:

Charly said...

What?!? I've been a cooking fool this week. Every day this week....
Sun.-pork chops dipped in oj and then bread crumbs, new potatoes, fresh green beans and a WW apple brown betty-YUMMY! (I'll send you the recipe.)
Mon. Rachael Ray Chicken Tacos with yummy avacados. (not a repeat, I would revise the recipe a little.)
Tues. Leftovers
Wed. WW recipe for cheese stuffed hamburgers and low fat kettle potato chips.
Tonight- Steak w/ peas and Amy's mac and cheese.
Oh yeah, I'm married and I'm a at home cookin' machine.
Lots of love. BTW...I'm going to try your recipe.

Julia said...

Is the tuna noodle casserole you're talking about the one that's like 8 points for a fourth of a cup?! Because I made that once when I was on WW and I actually liked it, but I wasn't willing to spend 8 of my points on such a small portion very often. How mean is that...for them to give me a recipe for something I liked and then tell me that the points value is ridiculous?! So mean!

Jessica said...

First of all, you cooked. As soon as I saw this post my eyes started to glaze over and I think I read six or seven other blogs before finally coming back and finishing. Not only do I hate cooking, I hate thinking about it.

Second, I already brought my Johnny Carino's from the other night to work for lunch today, complete with a canoli. THAT is cooking my friend...reheating takeout in the microwave.

Third, I would not like the meal because there was a terrifying amount of green on that plate. And I like red sauce, but only if I can dip not cover.

So, your blog has officially alienated me today! Instead of cooking, how 'bout we go waste some time at Starbucks...

Aubrey said...

First of all, you're too sweet! I check out your blog often and just found this entry today. I am very impressed with the recipe! I'll have to try it! It looks great!! I wasn't much of a "wonder wife" this week with being out of town and other random events. My idea of dinner last night was heating up a frozen burrito(sad, I know!). Hopefully I can post some more recipes next week. Thanks for reading!