Friday, November 2, 2007

The Principal of the Matter

For the most part, I love my job. I love the 8-5 schedule. I love the ridiculous amount of paid holidays and vacation time. I love my coworkers. Heck, I have even gotten used to the stale air and lack of vitamin D that comes from working two floors underground. Overall, its a pretty good set up for me.

Finding jobs for people can be a very rewarding career, for both me and the person actually getting the job. But for every person who gets the job, there is a long list of people who don't. Imagine telling someone that you cannot approve their application for them to be able to have a chance at a position. Imagine having to tell a person that the college degree that they spent four years to complete, is not from an accredited college. Imagine telling someone that even though they have been unemployed for a year and a half, that their experience is not actually what you are looking for and there is nothing you can do to approve them. Imagine doing this all day -every day.

Now, imagine telling any one of these things to your elementary school principal. Seems like a great opportunity right? Stick one to the old fart! Make 'em pay for all they did to torment you! Let THEM right on the board 100 times that they are not worthy for your position! While it seemed slightly ironic at the beginning, this real-life scenario, played out today, was actually pretty uncomfortable for me.

I would have thought that it would make me feel good to be in a position of power over someone who I had no choice but to obey many (many) years ago. I guess I would have felt much more successful to have been able to actually show off what I have become and find him a job, rather than disappointing him and ending it there. I guess I can only do what my new "principals" allow me to do.

Some days, you're just thankful that YOU'RE the only half of a "couple" that remembers the other half from a time long before. Some days, you're just thankful for sloughing your maiden name from your business card.

No comments: