Monday, November 5, 2007

BeerFest 2007...Birthday of Champions

For over seven years and for as long as we have been dating, Nathan has always noted that my family takes birthdays to a whole new level. What can I say? Bradshaws do birthdays BIG! I'm pretty partial to big birthdays. No one's special day should go by without crepe paper, cake, dinner of your choice, presents and party games. Oh yes! There are party games.

My bro-in-law, Jim, can be blamed for the elaborate expectations for party games. It's a new staple in all of our b-day celebrations. That, and our special version of the birthday song. Those lucky enough have been able to hear the song in person. Others, well, they'll have to use their imagination. To help them out here's a hint: It sounds an awful like a certain bday song at the home of THE BEST! Mexican food in OKC. Now imagine it being sung by a bunch of cake-craving, koozie-toting, party rejects. THAT is what the Bradshaws and the Faux-shaws call a birthday.

One of my favorite birthdays to celebrate is my brother's. It's not that I favor Mark over any of my other family members; I leave that to my Mom and her inconsistent declaration of the #1 child. It really comes down to the fact that once HIS birthday is over, MY birthday season is underway. I like to say that I deserve a whole month of birthday attention, since I often have to share my birthday with a wobbly-necked, giblet-producing butterball.

This year though, Mark's birthday was one for the books. It marked the first annual BraHamBla BeerFest. BraHamBla is not only funny because it has the word bra in it (I'm so mature, I know); it's funny because, I don't even drink beer. It was still a blast. And, it was very ummmm ... Mark.

We each had a sampler-cup of 21 hand selected beers from around the world. Then all 9 party-goers ranked them on a scale of 1 to 10. I don't think I gave any of them over a 5. Let's be honest, the 3 of 21 tasters that I didn't pour out into the yard, still weren't as good as my drink of choice. What can I say? I'm an Arbor-Mist type of gal. I like it sweet, cheap and as close to water as possible.



The BraHamBla Beefest 2007 lineup: The Birthday Boy and his brews:

BeerFest attendees minus one taking the picture, and two who never made it to the "beer" part of Beerfest:
Yeah, we're a pretty scary looking bunch after 21 beers. Or before, for that matter. As you can see, Nathan had a good time. The random guy in the back, B, is a neighbor who joined in on the fun. Jane and I decided that he and his wife, A (taking the picture), were very nice; but the wife is too freakin' cute to be invited to future parties.

And for those interested, the winner was:
Erdinger Hefe-Weizen Dark
AKA
Foamy motor-oil.


No comments: