Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Obama-lamadingdong

For any readers that think this post is going to be about my dislike for the Senator from Illinois, you don't know me very well. I have absolutely no clue about what the candidates stand for or for whom I'm going to vote for. (I know one person that's likely clicking that red - X at the top right of her screen as she reads this right now) No, this post is coming to you only because my husband is forcing me to watch CNN with a bunch of screaming people, some old guys and one chick talking about how they are going to save the world.

I know. I know. What kind of American am I? I'll tell you. I'm the type that gets excited not because I'm pumped up to head to the polls to vote for the best person and his/her policy on health care; I'm excited because I just spotted James Denton from Desperate Housewives standing behind that president-wanna-be guy. It was awesome! I would totally vote for whoever HE was standing behind. Mike Delfino is totally hot. Although, I could do without his new found fondness for the painkillers this season.

Am I the only one that feels this way? I mean, why do writers always have to take good characters.... Oh I kid!! Seriously, am I the only one that feels like a complete loser when it comes to fully exercising my American right to vote? I mean, I have voted in the past. But, I couldn't tell you what the candidates stood for or why I voted for them. I'm sure it had something to do with a commercial I liked or the last sign along the street that I thought had a good color scheme. Is it an age thing? Is it a me thing?

I have family members that are very much into the political process, but in polling (hehe that was good) my closest friends, many of them seem to have the same clueless attitude as I do. I truly DO have the desire to want to care. I DO have the desire to be able to argue my case for anyone who will listen. I DO have the desire to vote for the person who I am confident will lead our country in the right direction. I have opinions. I have goals. But as I listen, ALL of the candidates seem to have the same opinions, the same goals. How do I choose? How do YOU choose?


Ugh, Maybe I should just write in "Pedro". Give me some pointers, readers! What should I read? How should I research? How should I start? Don't judge me! Help me! ... nicely...

PS:
One thing I AM sure I will vote for is the extension of the 1-cent sales tax increase to fund improvements to the Ford Center in downtown OKC. I love me some cotton-candy! Anything I can do to support more events in which I can pay for overpriced tickets to get that fluffy pink cloud-in-a-bag, I will.

No seriously, this could be one of the best things for OKC to stay on the path to success. Whether you personally visit the Ford Center yourself, you eat at one of the surrounding restaurants in Bricktown, or you simply plan to live in OKC for any period of time going forward, this vote is important. You'll never notice a penny, but you'll definitely notice when my Ladies finally visit the newly-renovated venue. A girl can dream.

If you live in OKC, go vote YES! on March 4th. Thanks! This concludes the extent of my political babble. Hey, I COULD go back to posting pictures of my cat...

7 comments:

Daisy said...

I really can't give a good opinion about who one should vote for because I'm a complete political junkie, a nerd in the land of politics. I've been active in the process since I was 18 thanks to a great HS government teacher (though I was misled into being a republican for several years due to the religious beliefs I held then). I stay current with local, state--Oklahoma state that is--and national politics because I enjoy it. Most people I know fall into your category: educated, generally knows what's going on, but not obsessive.

I, on the other hand, listen to Air America for fun and write letters to my senators and congressmen when I disagree with them. I can quote stats and name most all my government representatives. This does not make me smarter than the average voter--just nerdier, and usually more frustrated.

I've been a supporter of Obama since 2004 when I heard him give the intro speech at the Democratic National Convention. His words captivated me, and I fell in love with his message. I read his books, joined his mailing list, and have campaigned for him on a local level. The reason I will vote for him (via absentee ballot because I refuse to relinquish my OK voting status) on Super Tuesday is because he speaks to me. I agree with his message of abandoning the status quo and moving towards a new kind of government. One of the things that I also like about him is that he is willing to work across party lines to get things done. I could see him with a mixed cabinet who would be focused on efficiency rather than on agreement alone (like our current administration). He sends a message of change and hope that this country needs, and I believe he is genuine in his endeavor.

My only challenge to you would be to vote for whomever you feel is the best choice. While in the primaries there seem to be few differences, I guarantee there will be plenty of differences when the general election rolls around. However, I believe the actor of whom you spoke (that's how nerdy I am--I have no clue who he is) is a John Edwards supporter. I heard "the Desperate Housewives guy" on Ed Schultz (talk radio host) today, and I believe that's who he's endorsing. So if you want to vote with him, that's cool, because I like Edwards too! ;o)

(Okay, seriously, look at how long this reply is. I am such a nerd.)

Emily said...

I heard a guy say he voted for Mike Huckabee because he could play the guitar. It's similar to voting for someone because James Denton supports him or her. Whatever gets you to the voting booth I guess!

Charly said...

I am ashamed to say that the first time I ever voted was last fall for the governer election here in KANSAS! I vowed after many remarks from Brady, "you can't complain because you didn't vote," that I would be active in the next presidential election. We watched the Iowa Cockus :) and the NH primary. I'm 98% sure who I will be supporting and let's just say, Daisy would be proud.
I just know that I will be able to complain as much as I want to after the presidential election in November.

John said...

Riddle me this batman...why do people spend 150 million of other peoples dollars to get a job that pay's $400,000 a year?
Kickbacks anyone???

Aubrey said...

Just for you...I've updated! Check it out:)

Patrick said...

Glad to hear you're voting yes for the NBA tax.....which really won't raise your taxes, but will continue the MAPS for Kids tax for a short time...12-15 months. It's time for OKC to be a major league city! I've been working with Mick Cornett (a friend of my dad's since high school) and the OKC Chamber of Commerce to try to promote this thing. I'm amazed as to how many people are opposed to this. Voting against the Ford Center improvements is essentially a vote against OKC. If this loses it will kill all of the momentum we've gained from the MAPS programs, and will bring the renaissaince in OKC to a screeching hault. We need to vote yesd for this, and then vote yes for MAPS3 which will be launched in a few months.

As for national politics, President Bush has turned our country into the laughingstock of the world. We're bogged down in a nonsensical war in Iraq, when we should be focused on the REAL terrorists in Afghanistan. I think it's time we elect a president that's for an immediate withdrawal from Iraq. And someone who doesn't have their hands in the back pockets of the oil companies. I've been an Obama supporter since the beginning....but, I'd be in favor of Hillary if she happens to win the party's nomination. Vote Democratic!

Patrick said...

Megan and I spent so much money at Hornets games.....I think half of my student loan money went the Hornets organization! lol! It's time to bring the Oklahoma City (I like that) Sonics to town!