Thursday, July 19, 2007

It's The End Of The World As We Know It

Well, I've spent most of this week trying to figure out how to break the news to all of you. And since I can't figure out any creative way to do it, I'll just tell you. Nathan and I are going to be parents! Yep, that's right. We will not only have one child, but two of them...temporarily.

Starting next Tuesday, we will be the guardians of an eight year-old and a six year-old for nine days. Yes, NINE! We decided breaking in slowly is overrated. We're taking the "jump-in and possibly drown" approach. Nathan's not so fond of water so don't tell him. Just kidding. He knows my nephews are coming. He, however, doesn't know that he may have to watch them by himself for awhile if my book club decides to ACTUALLY GET TOGETHER! Knowing my book club though, Nathan will have no "boy time" to worry about.

This week I have also spent a lot of time trying to think about fun things to do to entertain these temporary children so that they go home thinking that Aunt E's house is the coolest place they've ever been; at least just as cool as where their parents are going, Hawaii. Seeing as they both lived in my house before I did, I'm thinking they won't be that impressed. We'll see.

So here is my plea. If you know of any hip, absolutely knock-your-socks-off fun things to do as a young boy, fill me in. The most fun things I've come up with so far is swimming and frozen custard. Maybe, if I allow them to swim IN frozen custard, I will reach Aunt-stardom. Other ideas I have thus far are:

1. Dump the two off at Nana's and go to Hawaii with my sister and bro-in-law
2. Going to a Redhawks game (or a great substitute consisting of McDonald's and going to watch Nathan and Derek lose, cough...pardon me... win their softball games)
3. Invest every cent I have into buying the biggest vat of mud and letting them take turns rolling around in it. (Let's be honest, THIS would be way more fun than Frontier City or White Water)

All kidding aside, Nathan and I are really excited about the boys staying over. It should be full of lots of laughs and lots of laundry. Be sure to let me know of any other fun things to do and check back for interesting "kid stories" in the next week or so. Hey, now I will have one of those blogs about the AMAZING things that kids say and do; at least temporarily. My sister has already been threatened with her life that she WILL return topick them back up.

4 comments:

John said...

Incredible Pizza! Call Jess and I and we will meet you there!

not so zen momma said...

Incredible Pizza is scary! Except for they have the laser finger game

Susan said...

Take them bowling. Seriously. They will love it.

Derek said...

Buy them a bunch of fluorescent light bulbs, the three foot length ones are good. Find a dumpster or and deserted alley and let them throw them to watch them explode. If you want to be really cool they could even play light sabers with them. I suggest gloves and possibly eye wear when using them as light sabers.