Monday, September 8, 2008

Dinner Rut...Help a Girl Out

I'm no Aubrey. I don't really like cooking and currently I'm in a dinner rut. I'm tired of making the same ole thing night after night and thus I've fallen into the trap of skipping cooking all together. I can only make pancakes and some form of Hamburger Helper so many times. Go ahead. I'll wait while you feel sorry for my husband. I'd feel sorry for him too if I wasn't so busy feeling sorry for myself and the lack of funds to hire a personal chef.

So, I'm sending out a plea to my fellow dinner cookers for your tried and true recipes that your family likes. I only have 3 stipulations:

1. The entire meal needs to be complete or ready to go in an oven within 30 minutes. And that includes any required chopping, peeling etc. Spare me the Rachel Ray lecture. Her 30 minute meals do not count. There is no way I can chop an onion in four seconds and although I'm not really a picky eater, I don't really keep capers, polenta, and things of the sort in my pantry. I need regular people food! Ya know, canned goods. Lots of preservatives. High sodium stuff. And I need it to be ready before it's time for me to sit down and watch the latest episode of The Secret Life of the American Teenager. (Stop judging me!)

2. The less the amount of ingredients and pots required, the better. I tend to be a little messy when I cook and my dishwasher (aka loving husband) gets kind of snarfy when it appears that every pot we own is piled in the sink, yet dinner is served in one big bowl. Go figure.

3. No Meatloaf!! That's just nasty. Whoever thought mixing together raw meat, crackers, ketchup and eggs together with your bare hands and forming it into a loaf shape was just plain crazy. Blech.

I do the basics. Spaghetti. Chicken and rice. Beef and Bean Enchiladas. But, I'm wondering if any of you have some other fast recipes I could try out. My husband is shrinking away. And you've seen him. He's not really in the category of "those that could stand to lose a few."

3 comments:

Aubrey said...

This isn't necessarily original or super creative, but it is very easy and versatile! This is something that I do when I know it is going to be a crazy week. It's relatively inexpensive, too!

Crockpot Roast:
-roast
-can of cream of mushroom soup
-can or two of sliced carrots--do not drain
-can or two of whole potatoes (I sometimes cut them or buy the sliced ones)--do not drain
-Lipton onion soup mix
-salt, pepper, garlic powder

Put roast and veggies in pot. Season w/salt, pepper, garlic and Lipton soup mix. Spread on cream of mushroom soup. Cook on low over night or put on before you leave for work.

That makes one complete meal. Now use the leftovers for:

-stew (add can of corn, green beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, a little water and salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder)

-bbq sandwiches (add bbq sauce to the meat and serve on buns)

-quesadillas (just need tortillas, cheddar and salsa)

-sandwiches

-beef burritos (just need flour tortillas, cheese, can of refried beans)


There you have it! 6 days of very easy meals! No chopping required!

One week down:)

Elizabeth said...

Interesting. My roast always comes out kind of dry, but I've never tried it with c.o.m. soup. Plus, no chopping veggies. Thanks for the tip.

Daisy said...

Here is my unhealthiest splurge meal:

http://duckydaisy.multiply.com/journal/item/95/Sausage_Leek_and_Havarti_Pasta

You might also like this if you have fresh basil on hand:

http://duckydaisy.multiply.com/reviews/item/2

I'm like you most of the time, though. I cook the same things night after night. Honestly, Schwan's, with their healthy stuffed chicken breasts, is my lifesaver. At least twice a week, I pop those in the oven and come up with a couple of sides (most times also from Schwan's!).

And two sides I can't recommend enough are:

http://www.recipezaar.com/181060
http://www.recipezaar.com/49125