Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Spark Up A Guilt Trip

With every update from news reporters, every click on the OG+E website, and every war story from coworkers and friends about finding hotels and frigid night naps, I feel more and more guilty about having NOT lost power due to Ice Storm 2007.

At one point yesterday it was reported that 1 and 3 Oklahomans was without power. Apparently, Nathan and I are two of those three. With only a few flickers and a couple of "is it all going down" scares last night, we have managed to scathe through without losing heat or the ability to get online like so many others.

Unfortunately, my office was in full power and blazing heat today while Nathan got to stay home due to low productivity at his work while on back-up generators. It was probably a good thing because he actually was trying to produce a little heat burst of his own with a slight fever. (Insert your awes here. Despite popular belief, when a MAN gets a slight fever it truly is not the end of the world. Take it like a woman! Take 2 Tylenol, drink some OJ, move on!)

...speaking of moving on...

Although no one took us up on our offer to stay at Chateau le Blais, we're glad to be getting a few calls rolling in from friends and family that their power is coming back on and they are able to resume normal life. And let's face it, now I don't have to actually dust those high shelves in the spare bedroom, hurriedly sift through the linen closet to find towels that don't have holes or some sort of weird bleach stain on them, or pretend that I really do wear a bra under matching pajama tops and bottoms to bed.


To make myself feel a little bit less guilty for my lack of electric absence, I'm posting a few pics of the damage that we did sustain along with a few other shots for my readers outside of OK, who may not be familiar with the phenomena known as ICE STORM 2007. Also included is the Ode to My OG+E man I wrote last summer. I thought it would be fitting for a revisit here.

Chateau le Blais - We'll leave the light on for you! (No pun intended)



There's no peppermint in Ice Storm 2007!



Two of 4 Bradford Pear trees in our backyard had damage.







The evergreen in our front yard isn't so "ever" anymore.


Modified from the original post:

Whatever You Make... It's NOT Enough

An ode to my friendly neighborhood OG+E man:

Through the ice and into the night
You come to the rescue with your big noisy truck with strobing red light
Your yellow slicker, your hard hat on top
Wandering flashlight up and down the block
I peek out the window at five in the morning
Watching, scanning, waiting, neh longing.

Leftover ice, the cold, the dark
Suddenly! It happens! Your skill, your spark
I love you OG+E man, you are the best
I'll pay you whatever, anything you request

**************
I love my lights. I love my heat. I love my clothes dryer. I love my TV. I love my Internet. More importantly - I love you my OG+E man.

TOGEther we CAN make a difference.

1 comment:

not so zen momma said...

I feel guilty about having power too!