Saturday, December 8, 2007

Idiocracy is #1 in the BCS

Over the past couple of years, my friends have turned me into a college football junkie. I have always loved OU football, but other than that I have always been a little lukewarm about the sport as a whole. What irritates me most about the sport is the ridiculous BCS system. A few of my beefs are listed below.....

-How can Kansas make a BCS bowl over Missouri? Kansas' best win this year was over Tulsa Union, while Missouri BEAT Kansas and made the Big 12 Championship.

-The fact that the Coaches Poll is 33% of the BCS is beyond me. Why would you let coaches, some of which have agendas and biases, determine your National Champion? Take these votes for example:

*Bobby Bowden voted OU 7th and Missouri 5th.
*Howard "Absolut" Schnellenberger voted USC 12th.
*Mike Bellotti and Tommy Bowden voted Missouri ahead of OU.
*Bob Stoops voted LSU the lowest of any other ballot, 6th.

-The only reason Illinois, ranked 13th, is in the Rose Bowl is because that committee is insistent on getting a Big Ten, Pac 10 matchup. Get over it Rose Bowl! What was wrong with OU and Texas playing in your game? Oh wait, I guess the Big 12 kicked your precious little Pac 10. Your glory days are over......I can't wait to see USC defeat Illinois by 40-something points.

If I had it my way, there would be an 8 team playoff. The 6 big conference champions would make it, plus the next 2 highest ranked teams that aren't conference champs. If a small conference school made it into the top 12, they would also get a spot. Why shouldn't the only school who hasn't lost a game yet not get a shot? Notre Dame would have to be ranked in the top 8....we won't have to worry about them for a while. Here would be our playoff this year:

Ohio State VS Hawaii
LSU VS Georgia
Virginia Tech VS West Virginia
Oklahoma VS USC

I am certain we are going to be stuck with the current system for quite some time. It's great that OU is going to the Fiesta Bowl, but for what? To me, every single bowl game outside of the title game is meaningless. They feel like consolation games. Plus, how do we know Ohio State and LSU are the two best teams when they haven't played ANY other top ten BCS school? Easy answer: we don't know. Every other sport has figured it out. Why can't college football?

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Agreed!

I'm glad you made the point about the coaches voting. It is so ridiculous. How are Bob Stoops, Les Miles, Pete Carroll, Jim Tressel, and the like supposed to vote without bias?

not so zen momma said...

Wouldn't it be weird if the fans voted? American Idol BCS...

That said, I am all for a playoff consisting of the conference champs!