Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Red, White, and idiot all over...


Did you vote today? I did. And it was definitely not the easiest process I've ever been through. Oh, the actually connecting the arrow with one line on the ballot wasn't hard. It was the finding where to actually GO to draw the one line that was the hard part.

I woke up this morning and with a quick comment from my half-asleep husband, I realized that today was the day. I had forgotten to verify the night before that nothing else was going to be on the ballot. (Nothing stinks more than trying to make a quick decision in a cardboard cube that I know nothing about, but that could possibly change my world for the better...or worse...) I also had forgotten to find my voter's registration card to figure out what the name of my assigned voting location was. I knew it was some church on May, or Penn, or maybe it was actually on Rockwell? I knew it had some Saint's name on the sign. Or maybe it was that big funeral home. No, I would have remembered voting around dead people last time. Oh yes, it was that big Baptist church on the corner. No, Episcopalian. No! Definitely, the Baptist church.

So, as I walk into St. Augustine of Canterbury Episcopal Church (shut-up!) and tell my name to the President of the Cardigan-Sweater Club seated at the table, I realized that my last name has changed since the last time I voted. No biggie! I just happen to have my old driver's license with my maiden name on it. So, I tell the Vice-President of the Fixodent Fraternity my "other" name and nothing. Maybe I changed parties and didn't know? Still Nothing. Hmmmm... I know I'm registered?!

After answering a long list of questions mostly related to NOTHING having to do with where I need to vote, I finally get to teach a 95 year old lumberjack how to use a cell-phone to call headquarters to find out where I need to go vote.

then...

God sent down an angel with a huge Wiffle bat that knocked me straight. Yeah, I totally knew that I re-registered right after I got married with a new address. Then I drove to Epworth Villa (it has a church in it?!) and drew my arrow. I should re-register again. Politcal Affiliation: IDIOT.

2 comments:

Daisy said...

I say KUDOS to you for voting in spite of all the madness!

Anonymous said...

Cardigan Sweater Club President???? LMAO!

Go Lizzy! She's an American exercising her right to vote! "hey!!"