Monday, October 29, 2007

Take a Bath....Showers are Overrated

I was working to fix the shower in our master bath this past Saturday while Liz was watching Van. The plan was to spend a couple of hours changing out a part so that we could actually shut off the water without using a screwdriver, then help put up a new fence at Brooke and Derek's house. If you think the screwdriver line was funny, read on. The following is a humorous example of why I am not the person to consult on your next DIY home improvement project.

9:45AM- Turn off water at curb. This is fun!

10:00AM- Remove handle and screws from metal plate. Yes! This will be a breeze!

10:15AM- Try to remove metal clip holding the part I need to change. The needlenose pliers I am using are starting to leave indentations on my palms.

10:30AM- Wow, hard water deposits are a pain. Let's see if the Moen helpline has any suggestions for getting this clip out.

10:45AM- Half-vinegar and half-water doesn't work. Thanks a lot Moen helpline.

11:00AM- Call Jim. Oops, he's duck hunting, but is nice enough to suggest WD-40 or liquid wrench.

11:30AM- Home Depot. Liquid wrench. Now we're good!

NOON- I have tried to remove the stupid clip so many times now that it is beginning to disintegrate. Which gives me a good idea. How about just breaking the darn thing?

12:30PM- Breaking the clip was fun, but now requires a trip to ACE for a replacement.

1:00PM- Now all that is needed is to get the part out and replace it. Just pull it out with pliers. Pull. PULL. PULL!!!!!

1:15PM- My back hurts. I lay on the floor for a few minutes and stare at the ceiling.

1:30PM- I really don't want to spend $15 for a tool to remove the old part, but also don't want to break a plumbing line. Another trip to ACE to buy the tool.

2:00PM- I am hungry. Crispy chicken sandwich from McDonald's. Mmmmmmm.

2:30PM- Part removal tool..........$15...........thoughts going through my head when the old part that comes out looks nothing like the one I bought to replace it........PRICELESS.

3:00PM- Lowe's. Another part. Maybe this part will shrink by the time I get home, because I don't think it is going to fit either.

4:00PM- Store lights only affect paint color, not part size apparently. This one doesn't fit either. And no, pushing harder to get it to fit doesn't work.

4:30PM- Turn the water back on so Liz can go to the bathroom. Hehe.

5:00PM- See Van for 15 minutes before his loving parents pick him up.

I get to go to Locke Supply on Tuesday to try and find the right part to fix the now dripping shower. Needless to say, we WILL be shelling out the money to have someone tile our kitchen floor and backsplash. Apparently, the DIY genes that my uncles have (a few have even built their own houses) did not get translated over to my DNA. Oh well.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

You forgot the parts where you beat the shower wall and exclaimed, "Forget it, I'm calling a plumber!". I love you for trying.