Sunday, June 7, 2009

Pearly Whites

Or maybe I should say pearly nubs. Whatever you call them, Anna Jane's got 'em. Two of them in fact. Right in the center on the bottom.

She's been a little fussy lately, but Nathan and I figured it had to do with a lingering ear infection and the end of a bout with croup. But, as the fussiness continued and the never-ending gnawing began, teething was looking more and more like the culprit for a normally laid back baby. Sure enough, after a quick glance into her mouth, I discovered on Saturday morning that our nearly five month old has already started teething. Then tonight, after her bath, I was taking a look at her little white nub and realized that she has another little "toopher" poking out right next to it.

You would think that after being a mom for almost five months, that this would change, but it hasn't. I still think to myself, "Hmmm. Those other 5,647 moms that I've ever talked to in my life were right." Right on cue, Anna Jane has displayed all of the characteristic symptoms including drooling everywhere, chewing on everything, inconsolable crying, not eating and just simply not acting like herself. More than once during a screaming fit the past couple of days she has given me the saddest little face ever. Simply a look that says, "Mommy, help me." Ugh. It just breaks my heart.

I'm still pointing fingers at all of those moms in my life that neglected to tell me: "Hey. Liz. You should know that being a mom is the hardest darn thing I've done in my life. You will experience more ups and downs. You will cry more. You will smile more. You will never sleep again (this one I actually did hear. once). You will get over your fear of baby spit, throw-up and boogers and you will worry more than you ever thought possible." And for all of you other moms in my life that didn't neglect to tell me: "Liz, being a mom will be the absolute greatest thing you will ever experience."; I would have to say to you, I completely agree.

Now, I must end this and go apply a little pink glob of goo to the inside of my daughter's mouth. Glamorous.

2 comments:

debbie said...

i remember using a wet frozen washcloth, a frozen teaspoon or a frozen freezepop, still in it's wrapper~give it a try~she might love 1 of them~

Charly said...

I KNOW!!! It is the hardest thing ever...being a mom. But it is also the greatest. I hope she feels better soon. Hopefully Case will wait until I am done breastfeeding to start teething.