Saturday, February 28, 2009

The End of an Era

It's late and I'm tired, so this will be short. I just found out that the lead singer for the Barenaked Ladies, Stephen Page, has left the band. I'm kind of speechless right now. Those that know me well know that I normally don't wrap myself up in celebrity talk. This is different. This was my/our band. Liz and I share so many memories of listening to their new recordings and seeing them live. My high school years were made easier by their music because they could express things I felt in ways that I could not say myself. Their humor and wit encouraged me to laugh at myself often. Their wordplay and hidden meanings always intrigued me. The rest of the 4 members will continue to record and tour without a replacement. Stephen Page is a piece of the puzzle that will never have a suitable replacement.

Here is what happened.

Thank you Stephen Page for 20 years of writing and singing great music. I hope the "new" BNL without Stephen Page can reinvent themselves and still produce great music.

Sigh.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I just don't even know what to say. BNL has always been something we shared together that was just us. Is this how fans felt when Yoko broke up the Beatles? "Don't blame it on Yoki."

not so zen momma said...

Nice blog makeover.