Thursday, May 15, 2008

Shameless Biased One-Sided Album Review

As Liz mentioned in her previous post, the Barenaked Ladies have recently released their 12th studio album. This time they decided to give a children's CD a try, and it is titled Snacktime! Liz and I weren't overly excited about the release. I mean, of course we were going to buy it, but it was going to be geared towards kids. How much would us grown-ups enjoy it?

Answer: The CD has been playing constantly since last Thursday. BNL has managed to write a children's album that adults can listen to without pulling their hair out. In fact, the CD is full of moments that only those of us who grew up in the 70's and 80's could truly enjoy. I realize Liz and I are hardcore fans, but if you have children and enjoy melodic and harmonious pop, I promise that you AND your children will have a great time listening to this CD. There are a couple of tracks that I don't care for, such as Allergies and Vegetable Town, but other than that this album is a gem. I can't believe I am saying this, but this album displays the purest form of BNL since their debut album, Gordon, back in 1992. How many bands can say that?

OK, so judge for yourself. I have included links to my favorite tracks listed on AOL Music. The audio quality isn't the best, but you'll get the jist.


Pollywog in a Bog: http://music.aol.com/song/pollywog-in-a-bog/10587035
-If you don't bop your head and smile to this song, then you're just in a bad mood.


Eraser: http://music.aol.com/song/eraser/10587041
-How can you combine Speed Racer, Queen, and a Church Choir? Listen to find out.


A Word For That: http://music.aol.com/song/a-word-for-that/10687051
-Pure BNL.....plain and simple.


Louis Loon: http://music.aol.com/song/louis-loon/10587043
-A great original children's song. This will definitely be played for our baby.....someday.




P.S......Just noticed that BNL is #2 on the children's music chart, behind Hannah Montana. Didn't think I'd be saying that a few years ago!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

K...gonna have to listen to and possibly purchase BNL because I'm tired of ol' Hannah, and worse, I'm sick of giving her my money...Have a great weekend!

KT said...

I totally agree! We love our cd!