Sunday, December 16, 2007

A Whirlwind

That's exactly what this past week has been, a whirlwind. Between the ice storm extravaganza, a huge project deadline at work, and the pressure of Christmas being a week or so away, this week has me flat out exhausted.

Although our little house wasn't affected too much by the layers of ice that covered every nook of the city, I feel as though I lived the entire thing through the eyes of others. Horror stories of no hair dryers, scrolling closings across every inch of the TV and the sound of buzzing chain saws filling the air has been all too common this week. Thank goodness that our normally power-fragile house stood strong through it all. Otherwise, I just may have had to be tranquilized to stop me from running up and down the streets screaming " Don't be sour! Bring back the power! "at the top of my lungs.

As an employee for the State, many of my friends and family find it hard to believe that I do ACTUALLY work while I'm sitting at my desk. But this week has taken work to a whole new level. Even I can't believe that I have spent at least an extra 4 1/2 hours actually at work, 6 hours working from home, and every other hour of the week thinking about work beyond my usual 40. Luckily, the training program I'm working on is coming to an end and I am pretty proud of the results. I'm ready to go back to my lavish, no stress evenings again.

A couple of days ago, somewhere between thinking about how to write a training evaluation form and what color paper would be best to compliment the background of a logo, I had the scary realization that Christmas was LESS THAN 10 DAYS AWAY!! Ummm, why did no one tell me this?! Someone should really put something that important on the calendar or something. SHEESH!

Once I recovered from passing out on the bathroom floor, I remembered that I hadn't even started writing my Christmas newsletter that I've been putting off since, well, last Christmas. You'll be happy to know that I did take 1/2 of today to finish that AND put them into signed Christmas cards, WITH envelopes. Yeah, I went all out this year. So, if you're one of the lucky ones, your mailbox should be stuffed with The Blais Blizzard soon. If you're not one of the lucky ones, don't feel left out. You can be part of the other 43 people that didn't make the top 72 people on my list. It's not that those 72 are more important or that I even like them better. It really comes down to that's all the cards that came in the box and I'm already hoping to win the lottery to be able to pay to mail those.

There are a couple of people that will be guaranteed to get the Blizzard (hmmm Dairy Queen sounds good, No! Stay focused!). This chick let me babysit my favorite and only Godson on Saturday and this chick and her rooster? let Nathan and I come over to watch one of their favorite Christmas movies. Apparently, I'm way behind on the Christmas movie watching timeline. I remember something being said like, " OH MY GOSH!!!!!, You've never seen A Christmas Story?!! It's only on ALL DAY on Christmas! What are you doing all day that you haven't seen it?" Ummm... I don't know, actually celebrating Christmas?

Hopefully this week will bring back my usual "I have nothing to do; maybe I'll blog" schedule and I'll actually get to post some pictures of our decked out house soon. We'll see. The whirlwind is awfully lurky this time of year.

4 comments:

Daisy said...

I haven't sent my cards out yet... I have 60 of them waiting on my table, empty because my printer head has not been shipped yet and I can't send out pics of Em until I get it. 80% of it is HIS huge family, so I'm sure they won't mind that it's late as long as there is a pic of the wee one.

Sorry your work week was so crazy! That's why I will NEVER go back to teaching, because it takes up too much of the evening down-time. Yes, there's 3 months in the summer (though that's gradually being taken away) but it's not worth never having a break during the other 9 months!

Emily said...

It could be worse! You could be having a baby on Thursday!

And I came to the realization the other day that it will cost MORE to send our Christmas/birth announcement/New Years (all in one)cards than it will to buy them. Thanks federal government!

not so zen momma said...

I'm working on my cards right now! I wish I could just pay Charly to do them for me. She would do a better job!

Elizabeth said...

I would have to agree 100%